Optimism is NOT Arrogance

Arrogance is the belief that you are BETTER than others. Optimism is the belief that you have the same CHANCE as others. We all have the chance to achieve our dreams. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 1 - Starting the Revisions

Ok - day 1 of the countdown.  I forgot to mention before (down below on the backstory) that I actually DO have an agent.  I won't reveal her name, so let's just call her Special Agent CB (no, she doesn't work for the FBI.  If you ARE the FBI and you're reading this post, I'm innocent.  I swear).  I'll post more about the querying process on other pages so you can follow along.  Took a good 3-4 months though.  Anyway, I signed up and we've talked about the manuscript and now...

I'm looking at revisions.

Revising sucks.

I've been staring at the pile of papers and marks and notes, trying to get myself jazzed up about making the changes, but let's face it, OPTIMISM says that I submitted the manuscript thinking it was great, right?  I mean, after all, my wife told me it was.

WRONG!

Special Agent CB's job (as is any agent) is to get the manuscript perfect for publications.  They know the editors, they know what they want, and they know what should sell.  So I have to trust her and talk with her about what makes my great manuscript PERFECT.

Optimism once again draws its sword against its arch-nemesis, Realism.  A fight to the death.

Or can there be a truce?  I can be optimistic that the book will sell, BUT I have to be REALISTIC in recognizing that it takes a ton of work.

Ok, by end of day today - Chapters 1-10 will be revised.  At least, the first cut.  Then I'll go through the 'revising the revision' stage.

Raaaaaaay....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts