Optimism is NOT Arrogance

Arrogance is the belief that you are BETTER than others. Optimism is the belief that you have the same CHANCE as others. We all have the chance to achieve our dreams. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Express yourself!

Here's a healthy tip for anyone feeling really frustrated with life, their current situation, anything.

Write.

Sounds simple, I know, but not everyone does it.  "I can't write!" or "I'm no good at writing" come up a lot.  But here's the thing: writing can get out of you everything that's festering and making you insane.

And it doesn't have to be a "Dear Diary" thing, either.  I once wrote a hundred page script in one night after I got in an argument with my wife.  I took it all out on some poor bastard who was captured by blood drinkers (not vampires - this was way before vampires were cool).  It was a great script, one I'm very proud of, and it poured out the anger I was feeling.

In fiction, screenplays, whatever, you can take out all the aggression and anger you feel and its perfectly legal.  Hell, if you're Stephen King it even pays well.  But it doesn't have to make sense, be published, or even read by anyone.  It's just for you.  And when it's fiction, boy, you can make anything happen.  had a rough day at work with indecisive bosses who blame you for the delays they caused?  Write about a brilliant CEO (modeled after you, of course), who turns around a failing company by finding secrets about all the evil doers in the company (modeled after your boss, of course).  And throw in some mafia coming after the hero or something, and BOOM, you've got a story and a healthy little fantasy that alleviates your stress.

It's great.  It works, and it's a lot cheaper than a gym monthly fee, and better for you than peppermint stick ice cream...which I love...

Try it out and let me know how it goes.

Write on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts