Optimism is NOT Arrogance

Arrogance is the belief that you are BETTER than others. Optimism is the belief that you have the same CHANCE as others. We all have the chance to achieve our dreams. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Sorry - deadline pushing...

Sorry I haven't written in a week, but I set a deadline for myself for today - get the second half of the book done.  No easy feat, considering the notes from Special Agent CB were pretty thick.  A lot of what I had to change weren't just edits, but major re-writes, which isn't easy.

But it raises a pretty good opportunity to talk about Deadlines.  As a writer, if you haven't imposed deadlines on yourself I suggest you do so.  Make 'em up, make 'em realistic, and then make yourself OPTIMISTIC that you can hit them.

We'll have deadlines when we get published or get an editor, even if your agent doesn't put one out there.  CB has never told me to "get it done by xx date".  In fact, in this last go round she told me specifically to take my time.  But I don't want to wait forever, and I certainly don't want to get in the working habit of taking my time, so I set up goals and deadlines.  Even if I miss it (as you saw in an earlier post, *ick*) I can at least say I tried and then make adjustments for a new goal.

PLUS, I'm still trying to get a job.  Had a rough time of it this week, but thanks to the millions of readers of this blog (ok, sorry, optimism has turned to delusional), I can write about writing and get optimistic again.

It'll all work out.  By next Friday.  (See?  Another deadline!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts