Optimism is NOT Arrogance

Arrogance is the belief that you are BETTER than others. Optimism is the belief that you have the same CHANCE as others. We all have the chance to achieve our dreams. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Updating Your Query Letter

Ok, I'm back.  Sorry for the non-optimistic rampage on Monday, but times are tough, and everyone needs to vent once in a while. I, ya know, need to vent, um, a little more than most.  Lately.

BUT!  I'm back!  I won't let any job setbacks derail me from my dream, nor should you!  So, today's tip is applicable to both of us in terms of finding an agent AND finding a job.

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING HONEST...with yourself...

Have you gotten the fifteenth rejection letter in a row, using the same query letter?  Well perhaps it's time you tried the NEW AND IMPROVED Query Letter!

And in case you're wondering, yes, that's why companies introduce new and improved products.  Cause the old one's ain't workin'!

Take a good hard look at your query letter.  Compare it on-line to others.  Does it seem to be more like the successful ones or not (and you CAN find successful ones out there).  Or, more importantly, is it true to you and the book, or does it sound like something you copied out of a "World's Best Query Letters" book?

Now, be honest.  And be ready to change it.  As you can see to the right, I changed mine five times before I got it right.  And now I have to do the same thing with my resume (which is essentially a query letter).

It's ok to live and learn.  The past is the past.  Hope is for the future, but is built in the present.  Go to it!

Oh, and if you'd like me to take a look at the query letters, feel free to comment here and I'll help out in anyway I can.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts