Optimism is NOT Arrogance

Arrogance is the belief that you are BETTER than others. Optimism is the belief that you have the same CHANCE as others. We all have the chance to achieve our dreams. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Being Rejected - And Meeting the Culprit

When one gets a rejection letter, one can handle the rejection many different ways. I prefer to handle it this way:



Now. What do you do if you're going to a conference and the editor who rejected you is going to be there?

Be classy!

Yes, this Friday I'll be at the SCWBI conference in the Poconos, and so will one of the editors who rejected me. Here's what the editor said:

"...I think the idea and story and voice are all fun here, but to be honest, the back and forth of the two characters with one intruding on the other was jarring for me, personally. I had trouble getting fully immersed in the story when there was that ongoing voice shift.

I’m sure that’s a really subjective concern and some people might actually love it! But I’m afraid it means I’m not the right editor here."

So. Do I go and scream at her? No. Pout? No. I thank her! Heartfully! For the great feedback. And then, I pitch her the changes I'm making based on her recommendation. Hopefully she'll want to see the revision! Or maybe not. Regardless, it's a great opportunity to follow up in person with a professional who's read my manuscript.

I'm optimistic though. She sounds great, and excited about the story - so who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts