Optimism is NOT Arrogance

Arrogance is the belief that you are BETTER than others. Optimism is the belief that you have the same CHANCE as others. We all have the chance to achieve our dreams. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Optimism DOES Abound!

Ah-ha!  Ok, so how many people believe in Quantum Physics, Noetics, Laws of Attraction, etc.?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Well, I do.  But I also realize its two main faults:
1)  it's EXTREMELY hard to do consistently.  I think we're programmed as a race, and supported by our multitude of media, to think that we cannot have anything we want.
2)  Failure to get what you want instantly leads to self-blame - I didn't win the Lottery so I must be doing something wrong.

Well, regardless, I decided I needed to get serious about getting a job.  See, I don't know how many of you out there are the sole bread-winner of the family, but being that AND trying to be a writer is very challenging, especially when you know in your heart you WANT to be a writer.  So I was avoiding the inevitable - UNREALISTICALLY optimistic.  I'm optimistic that my book will sell and will make a great movie, but not in the next three weeks.

So - I created a spreadsheet to track all the companies I've applied to.  I've written up a cover letter.  I'm following up with companies I haven't heard from.

Sound a little like getting an agent?  It is.

You just have to be serious about it.

SO.  THE DAY AFTER I get two phone calls out of the blue, one recruiter taking me on to help me with another company, and a phone call set up with another company that I forced in.

Now, some may say "That's not the laws of attraction, Doofus.  That's just you working harder."  True.  But the random calls out of the blue?  Coincidence?

I don't believe in it.

So - the OPTIMISM is back in OPTIMISM ABOUNDS.  Take your goal, dream, desire, need or wish seriously.  Put everything you have into it.

It'll happen.  Trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts