Optimism is NOT Arrogance

Arrogance is the belief that you are BETTER than others. Optimism is the belief that you have the same CHANCE as others. We all have the chance to achieve our dreams. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Man, this is tiring...

I've forgotten how exhausting this work thing is.  Weeks blow by like the cow in Twister, and by the time I get home at 6:30-7ish I'm ready for some food, some drink and BED.  How the heck am I supposed to write like this?

Full-time writers may have forgotten, but this kinda life ain't easy.  It's literally like having two jobs, and depending on what your day job is, it can leave you very little in the can to do your writing.

We all know the key is goals - ya know, write the same amount every day or spend the same amount of time writing, etc. etc.  But here's something I heard that I never really realized.  It takes about 4 weeks for a "habit" to officially burn itself into your brain by re-routing neurons and making it a part of your life.  So while the number of words or the time may seem important, they're not in the beginning.  The important thing is to (excuse me, Nike), just do it.  Every day.  No weekends off.  Same time, same thing, every day.

The second key is the time - start small.  One hundred words, maybe.  Gradually build up to your goal over those four weeks.  Don't rush into it because if you fall short you'll skip the next day and then BOOM the whole thing's done.

I'm trying it with exercise as well.  1 minute a day.  Just 1 minute.  Then after two weeks I'll double it.  But it's gotta be at the same time or a part of the same routine like brushing my teeth or showering.

So I'll let ya know how it turns out.  Meanwhile, if you're like me and coming home exhausted to the point of exhaustion, don't fret.  We'll grind this out together and keep each other company throughout.

Oh, and STILL NO WORD FROM CAITLIN!  I'm beginning to get worried.  Has my agent suddenly gone psycho through the streets of Manhattan?  Is she locking up some huge-mega-deal that she doesn't want to divulge to me until it's near final?  Or has she gotten totally sick of my project and just figured "ta heck with him".

Inquiring minds wanna know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts